AFHM President’s Message for January 2023
Welcome to 2023 and another year of opportunities and challenges for AFHM as we work to promote our military history mission to the public.
We achieved a major milestone in 2022 with the June opening of our new headquarters and museum venue at the historic Captain James Lawrence House in Burlington city. Thanks to all the members who volunteered their time over the winter, without heat I may add, and were able to create an impressive inaugural exhibit experience for the visiting public that has received nothing but positive reviews. Well done all!
With the start of 2023 the following initiatives and accomplishments are noted that include:
- Updates to the Mobile Museum that center on the braking systems due to wear while ensuring safety for the future years of event travel throughout the region (long overdue). Reader rail refreshing and exhibit panel changes that will focus more directly on the JBMDL missions of today, changes in military technology, and the new museum venue and headquarters operations at the Lawrence House
- Fundraising initiatives for a golf outing, super 50/50 raffle, and a reverse lottery dinner event that has the potential for members and supporters to play for a chance to win $10,000+, with a like revenue result for AFHM!
- Monthly speaker programs targeted at the Burlington County Historical Society’s facility in Burlington city that will include tours of the Lawrence House as a way of stimulating and promoting this unique military history museum venue – And we now have heat!
- Promotion of our newly completed Revolutionary War children’s book “Seeds of Freedom”, written by member Dr. David Jost, that has already generated early donation revenues for AFHM (see attached book cover illustration). The book is being offered at the Lawrence House to drive visitation to the site, with a mail order option pending. The book will also be offered at upcoming mobile museum event venues through the Spring and Fall months
- Lawrence House exhibit additions in line with our military history mission focus, as funding support and budget considerations permit (Three already in the planning phase)
- Living History documentaries on Gold Star Mothers/Families (Completed – release date February), Desegregation in the Military (in process), and the Korean and Vietnam Wars
- Sponsorship level criteria enhancements along with promotion campaigns that will serve to increase revenues and business/corporate support
- Extended outreach to such business and community organizations as the Burlington Mercer and Greater Burlington Chambers of Commerce, Rotary Clubs, JerseyMan magazine’s Legacy and Chairman clubs, and more!
These are but a few of the near-term projects and programs in play now, with more to come for sure!
As always none of this happens without the support of our members and supporters so please do your part and contribute as you’re personally able. Your assistance in identifying sponsors for our mission programs is appreciated as well.
Now let’s get on with making it all happen. Happy New Year and remember, “Don’t Give Up the Ship!”
Armed Forces Heritage Museum
459 High Street
Burlington, NJ 08016
Cell: 856-313-8704 Home: 609-499-2074